So over the weekend I did one of my favourite Christmas Traditions which was making Mince Pies! I love baking in general, but there's something special about making these Mince Pies that just gets me in the Festive mood. They're so simple to make, but taste so good, so I thought I'd share my Short Recipe with you guys today. My little sister also insisted on helping out with the baking this year- so if you spot any squished or odd shaped Mince Pies, it was probably down to that little munchkin!
Anyone spot my Christmas tree in the corner of the pic hehe!
You Will Need:
- Zest of Two Oranges
- 10g of Butter
- Plain Flour for dusting
- One 400g jar of Minced Meat (I have double since I made two batches)
- 1Tsp each of Cloves, Cinnamon and Nutmeg
- A roll of Pastry (Yes, I got lazy and used ready-made instead hehe!)
- A Baking Tray
1. Dust a light amount of Flour on a board and lay the pastry out. Sprinkle your Ground Spices and Orange Zest over the pastry, then fold it over once and repeat on the other side. (I love adding the Orange and Spices to this because it just makes it taste so much more Christmassy!)
2. Re-roll your pastry until it is about the thickness of a Pound Coin, and start cutting out your circles to fit the tin. You'll need a larger cutter for the bottom and a slightly smaller one for the top of your Mince Pies.
3. Melt the Butter and use to brush the tin so The Mince Pies don't stick. Then, gently place your circles in the bottom of the tin before filling with roughly a Teaspoon of Mince Meat each. Pop the pastry lid of the Mince Pies and next and brush the tops with a little milk. (I let my little sister cut out some cute little stars and hearts to put on the top of ours too!)
4. Slide the tray in the oven at 170ºc for up to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Take out,cool, and enjoy (I love having mine warm with a Christmassy drink like hot chocolate!)
The Spices give it such a Christmassy taste! Especially the Nutmeg which always reminds me of Christmas!
My sister was desperate to try them as soon as they came out of the oven! It literally took all her will-power to wait until they were cool, then I made us both a hot chocolate and we sat in front of the fireplace with a Mince Pie each. She did reminded me to save some for Santa too haha!
Hope you enjoyed this post, I just realised I haven't ever made a baking post on this blog before so comment down below if you think I should do it more often. Thanks for reading lovelies, your comments really mean the world to me!
QOTD: ARE YOU A FAN OF MINCE PIES?